Fascinating history

The origin of the inn

The inn really has an interesting and long history – if only the walls could speak!

The story traces back to when Edward IV (1471-1483) ruled the United Kingdom. The house was actually built in the year 1476 and its first purpose was a farm dwelling, with a thatched roof. It is not known who originally built the house but the first recorded occupant was a parish called Isaac Coates. He later sold the property to Thomas Bealey for 18 pounds, including horses as well. Back then the estate consisted of kitchen, barn and 18 acres of land.

Over the centuries the property has been for example in the ownership of a farmer and harness maker but later a farmer, who had an interest in brewing, took it in his hands and set up a brewery to the estate. This brewery was run by a man called Anthony Yessup, who was granted license for beer and cider in 1711. He registered the property as a beer house in the same year.

However, the name of the house wasn’t given until 1732, when a man called Thomas Kemp resided in the house and named it “The Star”. This is well in line with the habit of the 19th century as inns were frequently given titles with connotations of religious meanings, which was because they resided within precincts of parish churches. This was true also here: even sermons were sometimes held in the inn, if the attendance in the church was scarce!

Famous residents

Also some famous writers have lived in the inn. The playwright Sir Noel Coward (1899-1973) lived in a cottage next to the inn, back when he was just starting his career. He also authored his first famous play in this cottage. The poet and author Edith Nesbit (1858-1924), famous for her successful book “The Railway Children”; is buried in a nearby graveyard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *